To most people, a home is the best long-term investment. However, almost always comes the time to sell your property. Whether you want to upsize or downsize or are experiencing a lifestyle change, you will want to maximize your profits when selling a house in Raleigh.
There are many ways to sell your Raleigh home, but first, you need to list it and set the best possible asking price. To help you achieve this, we’ve prepared six tips you can read about further in this article. So, let us begin.
1. Get your house in top condition
You can always sell your Raleigh home as-is, but as your goal is to maximize profit, we strongly recommend fixing whatever needs to be fixed.
First, you should hire a home inspector. They will be able to assess your house’s condition and give you an estimate on what needs to be repaired or replaced. Issues with roof, foundation, or HVAC units can cause problems when selling a home. By fixing these types of problems, you will boost your home value and thus maximize your profits when selling a house in Raleigh.
2. Stage your home
Staging your home is imperative. Around 77% of real estate agents agree that selling a staged home is easier because the buyers can envision themselves living there.
Before you stage your home, you need to know who you are staging it for. Therefore, make sure to research your ideal buyers as different types of properties attract different types of people.
Home staging tips
The purpose of staging your home is to emphasize its best features. There are many home staging tips and ways to achieve this, but we will focus on the three most important ones:
- Increase curb appeal – You want your house to leave the best first impression. This is important as the better your home looks, the more people will want to come inside and look. Make sure your lawn is spotless and windows sparkling clean.
- Declutter – You must get rid of all your excess stuff and depersonalize the space. As you’ll be moving out of this property, you can pack while you’re decluttering and save yourself some valuable time. How you pack is very important as you want it done in a way that makes unpacking as simple and as fast as possible. You want to do it quickly and professionally, and the best way to achieve this is to take advantage of professional packing services.
- Define the space – Make sure that each room in your Raleigh home has a single purpose. If you have an extra room, you can turn it into a home office or a game room.
3. Invest in upgrades that can add value without spending too much
When trying to sell your property and boost its value, you should consider upgrading and renewing several parts of your home. They will significantly influence the asking price, but they won’t cost you too much if done properly.
Consider upgrading the following:
- Kitchen – A minor kitchen remodel can do wonders for your house. Even just refreshing the paint or updating the hardware makes a big difference. If your budget allows you, we advise investing in stainless steel kitchen appliances and granite countertops.
- Floors – Seriously consider investing in hardwood floors. They might seem expensive at first, but as that average return on investment ranges between 70–80 percent, it is entirely worth it. This means adding up to 2.5 percent to your house’s sale price.
4. Invest in modern features
Various smart technology devices can help you maximize your profits when selling a house in Raleigh. Some of these features don’t cost too much but can make your home stand out. This way, you’ll attract more potential buyers as well as increase the value of your property.
For example, install smart door locks or thermostats. Nowadays, these specific features are very affordable. If you have a bigger budget, think about investing in a high-tech security system. Other smartphone-controlled features, such as foyer lights or carbon monoxide detectors, can help sell your home quicker and at a better price.
5. Know when it’s a good time to sell
Selling in a hot market is the best option. However, it’s not always possible. To make the most of your sale, make sure to consult with a real estate professional. They will be able to give you insight into market movements and give you the best possible advice.
You should also make sure to research the local market on your own. Ask about the prices of similar houses in your neighborhood so you can roughly estimate how much your home is worth.
If you find that market conditions are unfavorable, maybe it’s a sign you should wait for a better opportunity. If you are in a rush to sell your home, consult with your real estate agent and try to make the most of the situation.
6. Properly set the asking price
After you’ve prepared your house for sale, it’s time to set the asking price. There are two ways to do this:
- Getting a professional appraisal – An appraisal represents a professional appraiser’s opinion of your home’s value. If your house is not comparable to the ones in your neighborhood, this can be especially useful. Since you don’t want to sell your home too cheaply, consider getting another opinion and be as sure as possible.
- Getting assessment from several real estate agents – This might be an easier and better way to set the asking price for your Raleigh home. It’s essential to obtain a competitive market analysis from a real estate agent, which will show recent sales prices and listing prices of nearby comparable houses.
Make sure to always suggest a higher asking price as houses usually sell for 5 – 10 percent below the asking price.
We strongly recommend following our tips to maximize your profits when selling a house in Raleigh. And, if you want to sell your Raleigh home fast and avoid additional costs – get in touch, and we’ll provide you with a personalized offer. We’re happy to help in any way we can, so don’t hesitate to reach out. In any case, we wish you the best of luck with selling your house.